Grain self-combusted and set a dryer on fire on a farm near Shepton Mallet on Tuesday afternoon (August 2).

Crews from Shepton Mallet and Wells were mobilised at 2.03pm to a farm in Stratton on the Fosse.

On arrival firefighters found that the dryer was alight.

Around 25 tonnes of grain had to be emptied onto a tractor and trailer, under the supervision of the crews.

Once emptied, firefighters got to work with a hose reel jet, a triple extension ladder and a thermal imaging camera to ensure any hot spots were cooled down to prevent any further spread of the fire.

READ NEXT: Water issue for firefighters as they tackle hay barn fire near Chippenham

The fire service reported that the cause of the fire was accidental and that it was due to self heating of the grain.

Grain dryer fires are common in late summer, and can be very resource intensive for fire crews, due to the complexity of accessing the machinery.

Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service has a webpage dedicated to detailing advice on avoiding fires in grain dryers.