Tragedy struck last night as newborn lambs died in a barn fire in Somerset.

Fire crews were called at 12.40am last night (Tuesday, May 3) to reports of a barn on fire on Stowey Road in Clutton.

The barn was storing livestock, including goats and newborn lambs.

Firefighters from Chew Magna, Radstock and Paulton fire stations tackled the fire with high-pressure hose reels and a 45mm jet.

South West Farmer:

Two wearing breathing apparatus managed to rescue a pair of goats and a few other animals but, tragically, eight lambs were overcome by the smoke.

READ NEXT: Gas cylinders explode as North Devon barn burns

A spokesperson for Chew Magna Fire Station said: "Our pump along with Paulton and Radstock has just returned from a barn fire.

"A few goats and various animals were saved but unfortunately eight newborn lambs were found deceased by the breathing apparatus crews in the fire."

South West Farmer:

Once the fire had been put out, crews stayed on scene damping down the area and checking for hotspots.

The cause of the fire is thought to be accidental.