Villagers were advised to keep their doors and windows closed during a barn fire near Frome yesterday afternoon (Tuesday, May 4).

Numerous reports of a barn on fire in Coleford reached fire crews at 2.20pm.

Three appliances were immediately sent, together with a water carrier.

Within minutes the incident commander confirmed that a barn was well alight and requested a further three fire appliances for additional personnel and water, and a further 4 x 4 for assistance moving kit around the fire ground.

Due to an increase in smoke into the atmosphere the incident commander asked control to advise the public within the village to keep windows and doors closed.

Using water from a nearby pond, crews fought to control the fire.

Western Power isolated all power to the barn.

The barn was 90 per cent damaged by the fire, the fire service reports.

The cause has been confirmed to be accidental.