A pony in the New Forest has died after choking on carrots.

The incident dates back to a few weeks ago when the pony was fed chopped carrots by the side of a road in the New Forest.

What was supposed to be an "act of kindness" ended in tragedy.

Although she was given veterinary care, the carrots had caused "irreparable damage" to her throat and the pony had to be put to sleep.

Members of the public are being urged to keep their distance and walk away if they are approached by animals in the New Forest.

In a Facebook post, a spokesperson for the New Forest Commoners Defence Association (CDA) said: "Please do not feed the animals it can cause choking, colic and ultimately death.

"Hand feeding also changes their behaviour by encouraging them to hang around roads and car parks which can lead to more road traffic accident."

Get more Salisbury news.

You can also like our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter and Instagram to stay up to date.

Email newsdesk@salisburyjournal.co.uk with your comments, pictures, letters and news stories.