Teams of firefighters spent all night battling a fire that ripped through farm buildings in Moretonhampstead on Thursday.

Of particular concern was some 5000 tonnes of wood pellets and a biomass boiler that were housed in one of the buildings.

The fire spread and neighbours were evacuated on the night of Thursday, August 6.

At 9.01pm Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service received a call reporting a large fire in the Devon village.

They immediately mobilised three fire appliances, one from Moretonhampsted, Chagford and Bovey Tracey, together with a duty officer.

From the scene, the incident commander requested additional appliances from Newton Abbot, Okehampton and Ashburton.

He also requested the attendance of a water carrier, which came from Danes Castle as well as the welfare unit from Crediton, the command support vehicle from Honiton and two duty officers.

Just before 9.30pm the fire spread to an adjourning building.

Read next: 200 tonnes of hay burning in north Somerset after barn fire

Crews continued to tackle the fire from a defensive position due to unknown hazards within the building.

It was at this point that crews began to evacuate residents from neighbouring properties for their own safety.

The incident commander requested the attendance of the incident support unit Bovey Tracey.

Using water pumped from a from a swimming pool, firefighters continued to tackle the fire.

Unfortunately the fire then spread to a building that housed a biomass boiler and 5000 tonnes of wood pellets.

By half past 10 a range of the farm buildings were alight and two hours later, one of the buildings was totally destroyed by the fire.

Relief crews from Buckfastleigh, Torquay and Newton Abbot arrived on the scene at 1.30am and they continued to tackle hot spots.

At 4.30am crews from Topsham and Paignton arrived to relieve some of the firefighting teams.

At 8.30am, firefighters continued to turn over and dampen down hotspots, with the farmer assisting with his machinery.

Just before midday on Friday, August 7, the fire was confirmed to be out.

The cause of the fire is unknown at this time, there is a fire investigation in progress.